MGM Resorts Just Sued Victims Of The Las Vegas Shooting In Attempt To Avoid Liability

On October 1, 2017, 58 people died when Stephen Paddock, 64, unleashed a hail of gunfire from the window of his room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, one of several properties owned by MGM Resorts International. 

It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Since then, families of the victims have been mourning and coping with the pain.

Now, MGM Resorts International is filing a law suit against the victims.

MGM claims that they are only taking these legal actions on those who have already filed law suits, or expressed interest in doing so to avoid compensation claims. The resort chain isn’t suing for money – but for a federal court to rule and declare that they cannot be held liable for the shooting. 

MGM Spokesperson Debra DeShong said the following concerning the lawsuits:

“Years of drawn-out litigation and hearings are not in the best interest of victims, the community and those still healing.”

She also said that filing the lawsuits “provides those affected with the opportunity for a timely resolution.” Reportedly, this approach has not been used to attempt to protect a company from liability in a situation like this.

Twitter is disappointed and disgusted with MGM Resorts:

Some claim that the resort chain could have done more to prevent the shooting, and should be ashamed of themselves, not filing law suits.

People are questioning where the compassion and respect for the victims and families is:

As a result, a number of people are boycotting all properties owned by MGM Resorts International:

This includes famous Las Vegas destinations, including the Bellagio, Circus Circus, MGM Grand, and of course, Mandalay Bay. 

No further details of the lawsuits have been released. 

H / T – Twitter, NYTimes