A recent social media challenge sent a 15-year-old to the emergency room, and the dangerous stunt left him with severe second-degree burns.
Kyland Clark, from Indianapolis, was talking about doing the “Hot Water Challenge” with a few of his friends. The challenge can be completed in one of two ways, both exceptionally unsafe: drinking boiling water through a straw, or someone pouring boiling water on you.
That night, a friend took it upon himself to do the challenge while Clark was asleep. He poured boiling water on him, and what began as a prank escalated into a terrifying ordeal.
Clark noted that his injuries were immediate:
And then I looked down at my chest. My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and, on my face.
Clark spent more than a week in the hospital receiving treatment for the second-degree burns to his face, chest, and back.
Doctors are seeing more and more children in the emergency room as a result of these dangerous viral challenge videos.
Dr. Ed Bartkus of Indiana University Health said the following:
It’s suggesting to people that they can try it and they won’t be hurt, but they will be, I can guarantee it.
Similar serious injuries have surfaced from other challenges. For example, consider the duct tape challenge, in which someone wrapped in duct tape attempts to break free.
Friends swaddled 14-year-old Skylar Fish in duct tape while he was standing up, causing him to lose his balance and fall. His head slammed into a window frame, crushing his eye socket, permanently affection his vision, and resulting in a brain aneurysm. Fish was left bloodied and bruised, and had to get 48 staples in his head.
Still, new challenges continue to make their rounds online.
What the hell is wrong with teenagers?!?
— Heather Tassmer (@heathertassmer) July 30, 2018
Why is this a thing? What's next #rattlesnaketonguetickling #hornetsnesthats #deepfriedapplebobbing or the ever popular #sunstare seriously, people need to find a less idiotic way to amuse themselves or at least less detrimental.
— Sentinel06053 (@sentinel06053) July 30, 2018
People hope kids learn from this and put an end to these dangerous challenges.
I am praying for Kyland to have a safe & full recovery. This is a very sad thing to have happened to him. I hope other kids will learn just how dangerous this challenge is & not do it!!
— Linda Boothroyd (@LindaBoothroyd) July 30, 2018
Clark and his mother are encouraging teenagers to think twice before they do something for the sake of online fame, and they’re warning everyone to abstain from hazardous, and potentially fatal, challenges like these.
There’s a limit to what you should do in a challenge and what you shouldn’t. Don’t take it overboard.
Clark also added that friends who encourage stunts like these aren’t actually friends at all:
If your friends are telling you to do this, they aren’t good friends.
Doctors have said he should make a full recovery, and the pigment in his skin will return completely in the next few months.