A man covered in grease has been rescued by police from a restaurant vent after being stuck there for two days.
Alameda County Sheriff’s Office said officers and firefighters were called to an abandoned Chinese restaurant in San Lorenzo, California, on Wednesday after someone heard “a faint voice calling for help.”
Officers found the grease-covered man stuck inside the metal vent of the vacant building, said Sergeant Ray Kelly.
After almost an hour, firefighters were able to rescue the 29-year-old, who was said to be “physically exhausted and suffering from dehydration” as a result of the ordeal.
Sgt Kelly said the man was being investigated for trespassing and vandalism, adding it was unclear if he had been attempting a burglary at the abandoned restaurant.
The man was taken to hospital, with Sgt Kelly adding that a decision will be made later on whether to seek a prosecution.
He said: “We are very thankful to our citizen reporter and our firefighters for saving this man. It is likely he would not have survived another day given the circumstances. The suspect is expected to make a full recovery.”
#DEVELOPING @ACSOSheriffs says suspect stuck in grease vent in #SanLorenzo looked like he had been “dipped in oil” but otherwise escaped serious injury. Charges may include misdemeanor trespass and vandalism…and he may be on the hook for damage to restaurant equipment. #ABC7now pic.twitter.com/G32bOg6BHX
— Laura Anthony (@LauraAnthony7) December 13, 2018
While everyone was undoubtedly grateful that the man escaped serious injury or death, Twitter couldn’t let the opportunity for jokes slip away.
Sounds like a real slippery character to me.
— ATL Anglophile (@Cor_Blimey_Guv) December 13, 2018
I know it’s no joke but it is pretty hilarious.
— Nick Ward (@WoodofKings) December 13, 2018
He's now escaped after giving the police the slip.
— john stell (@johnstell10) December 13, 2018
Dang, the Blue Man Group have really hit hard times… ???? pic.twitter.com/t0XcpX2Oqa
— Presley (@Wine_Pres) December 13, 2018
Though some were laughing, others were confused.
WTF? Criminal “genius” at work?
— cattiekit (@cattiekit) December 13, 2018
Apparently this guy's never worked in a restaurant. But how the heck did the grease get all over his head? Did it rain? Did anyone use the grill under the ventilation system? (That wld have been hot though.) Or did he grease himself up 1st? So many questions… pic.twitter.com/MVDq9mZ1yC
— LippyLibby admires #RealityWinner's courage.#Shero (@Lizseeds0311) December 13, 2018
— Claudia Thompson (@Claudia60717194) December 13, 2018
While the man survived the ordeal, it remains to be seen if his pores will be as lucky.