Bethenny Frankel has had another close encounter with an allergic reaction to fish. The Real Housewives of New York star had to have an airplane turn around to avoid a potentially deadly scenario.
On January 3, the 48-year-old TV personality boarded a flight on an airline that she refuses to name. She says she called multiple times to verify that there wouldn’t be fish served on the flight.
After takeoff, however, the reality star discovered they were serving bass.
— R&R ON Z93 (@RonandRehmer) January 4, 2019
After the captain was informed, he made the call to turn the plane around, against Frankel’s wishes. This was the right call, according to travel safety specialists.
An allergy to finned fish is a rare condition, with anaphylaxis being rarer, but still possible. If you have the condition, it’s particularly difficult to even be around fish, as its proteins can be aerosolized from cooking it.
Because of this, being trapped with cooking fish in a small space like an airplane can be deadly for someone with a fish allergy.
This kind of close call is scary! https://t.co/vDDMl650Lg
— Pat McCoy (@PatBonesMcCoy) January 4, 2019
This is a must read/must share article about airline travel and life with food allergies. I am glad Bethany Frankel is fine, I love that she’s strong and that the other passengers supported her. But I am APPALLED about the airline’s treatment. Thank… https://t.co/JEJqvmUpwt
— Sharon Wong (@NutFreeWok) January 5, 2019
This is Frankel’s second scare, though her last one was more serious. In December, the star said she was taken to the ICU after she ate soup and passed out.
I have rare fish allergy. Sun,I had soup,itched & was unconscious for 15 mins then to ER & ICU for 2 days w BP of 60/40.I couldn’t talk,see, thought I had a stroke & dying & told if 5 mins later I’d be dead. 911 & EPI saved me.I’ll never not carry an #epipen @newtonwellesley xo
— Bethenny Frankel (@Bethenny) December 18, 2018
bethany frankel Just read about your allergy to fish and it is nothing to play around with. A little boy just dies because his grandmother was cooking fish and he had no contact with it.. Care that EPI Pen at all times..
— Denise Sena (@ladylucky0556) January 4, 2019
This is the second time fish allergies have been in the news recently. An 11-year-old boy died in Brooklyn last Tuesday night. Camron Jean-Pierre had a known fish allergy and was with his father going to visit his grandmother.
As they arrived, they smelled the cod she was cooking.
Camron Jean-Pierre, an 11-year-old with a known allergy to fish, became fatally sick at his grandmother’s home, reportedly after smelling the aroma of some cooked cod. https://t.co/OcF6pJRYEU
— HuffPost (@HuffPost) January 3, 2019
I had never heard of this happening before. So sad. I’m sorry for doubting Bethenny Frankel earlier! https://t.co/ytcBdWPlBT
— Perez (@ThePerezHilton) January 5, 2019
Bethany Frankel, who has a rare fish allergy, was just talking about this. And she was on a plane, an enclosed space, where fish was being cooked.
— lotusblazy (@lotusblazy) January 5, 2019
Jean-Pierre’s father said:
“It just so happens they was cooking it when we came in. Usually he don’t get nothing that severe.”
The boy lost consciousness and his father tried to revive him. He was taken to Brookdale Hospital, but he couldn’t be saved. The city’s medical examiner has yet to issue an official cause of death.
Every allergy needs to be taken seriously.
Many are glad Frankel is okay:
So glad you are ok. Wishing you the best and a big shout out to those who were there to make sure you made it.
— Captain Lee (@capthlr) December 18, 2018
OMG! Thank God you made it. Must have been someone with you to get to the hospital! Thank God for whoever that was. You need to have a much better 2019 than 2018 has been for you! We all need you Bethenny Frankel to keep it real
— Dee Dee (@DeeDee94021871) December 18, 2018
— Sharon Wong (@NutFreeWok) December 19, 2018
I am glad you are ok! This is why we need to educate everyone around us. We ALL deserve to be #safeandincluded in life. This includes making sure everyone around us knows what to do during anaphylaxis 💜
— Lisa Rosenberg, M.Ed., MSW, LSW (@safeandincluded) December 19, 2018
We can probably all agree that, after she confirmed with the airline several times they would not be serving fish, this never should’ve happened in the first place.